Thursday, June 28, 2012

Friday Walks

One luxury I have as a stay at home mom is that I do not have to stay inside on beautiful Friday afternoons.  Aubrey actually goes to an Occasional Care place on Fridays to give her a little "preschool time" and gives me a little time to myself.  It has been a win/win situation so far.  The icing on the cake is that some of my American friends get together on every other Friday to go for various walks in the area.  I have only been on a few of these walks so far, but I really enjoy them.  Most of the walks follow the coastline on paths built through the bush.  I look forward to these walks as it involves good company, awesome views, great exercise (have I mentioned the massive hills around here?), and new experiences.  I wanted to share a few pictures from some of the Friday walks.   A little warning: they are all taken with an iPhone, which doesn't always do the best with views into the distance. 

The first four pictures are when we went exploring some rock formations on the north side of Balmoral Beach (the local beach in our suburb of Mosman). 









The next set of pictures are taken from Middle Head after doing a rather challenging set of stairs from Balmoral Beach.  But, the view was worth it.





As we have been having more turbulent weather over the past few weeks, the rest of the pictures show a much cloudier sky.  The next couple of pictures are from when my friend, Diane, and I just took off walking down some of the smaller streets in Mosman and came upon Little Sirius Cove looking down toward the city.










Lastly, is a picture of me and my favorite walking buddies on our last walk from the Taronga Zoo to Georges Heights. It's not the best picture of us and it was a really cool, windy, overcast day.  But, we had a great time and treated ourselves to a fantastic lunch at Ripples at Chowder Bay after the walk (our post-walk food is sometimes the highlight).
 

I am definitely looking forward to more of these walks in the future.  But, as of today, the kids are officially on "school holidays" until July 16th.  So, I will have both kids for the next three Fridays. Plus, we are headed out of town next week.  We are driving up to check out the Gold Coast (about a 10 hour drive from here).  There will probably not be any updates on the blog until after we get back.  One complaint I do have about Australia is the absence of Wi-Fi in public places.  And, if there actually is Wi-Fi, I can only get it to work about half the time.  So, I will have to catch up the following week.  Hopefully, we will have many fun stories to tell.  I will keep my fingers crossed there are no bad ones!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Missing Oz today. We are looking at moving back maybe next year? Wish I had Yankee friends when I was there before. Sounds like you are doing sooo good. You guys should consider staying indefinitely. Have you heard about nkch possibly being sold? Things don't seem to be going in the right direction here. At least in Australia you have great benefits. Long service leave, paid holidays and they live life around your family. Enjoy our blog. Have a great time on the gold coast! ~~ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear about NKCH and David Carpenter retiring. It makes me kind of sad. I would love it if you came down while we were still here! I'm not entirely sure what our long term plans are, but it is awfully hard to be so far away from family. We are so lucky to be making friends with other expats, but most of my friends are just here for a finite amount of time as well. But, we still have a long time before we have to figure out what our next step is. Right now, we are just trying to see as much as we can with the time we have. I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I'm really looking forward to going up to the Gold Coast. I know there are tons of theme parks there, but we will probably only do a day or two of that; we really want to get out and see the natural beauty. Enjoy the summer as much as you can; I know the heat has been pretty oppressing!

      Delete