Friday, November 29, 2013

October in Oz

We had fabulous spring weather in Sydney for most of October.  Most days were sunny and warm (but not too warm).  We were blessed to have all that lovely weather because we had some very important outdoor events.  The first event to note was the Middle Harbour Public School Carnivale which was held the weekend after we got back from Tasmania.  


This is a fundraising event for the school that they host every two years.  There were loads of preparation needed before the big day.  Each class runs a stall at the carnivale.  Carter's class had the sausage sizzle stall and Aubrey's class had the jam stall.  Aubrey's stall was much more complicated than Carter's.  The jams were handmade by the parents.  Those of you that know how much I LOVE to cook (note the sarcasm), know how much that thrilled me.  I was willing to help in a team cook situation, but the timing never worked out.  At least I did my part by working in both stalls on the actual day.

If you look at sign above, there may be some words that you are not familiar with.  At least, I was not familiar with them until this event.  (I am constantly learning new English words!)  Dodgems are bumper cars.  Tombola is a kind of lottery.  And, one that I had previously learned, but I am not sure if I have mentioned before: Fairy floss is cotton candy.  

Aubrey giving the dunk tank her best shot

Carter, his friend Henry, and Aubrey in line for one of the rides.  Unfortunately, after this photo we discovered that none of the kids were the 140 cm required to ride it.

Aubrey got her face painted as her favorite animal, and found a ride where she met the height requirement!

The kids had a blast.  It was Carter's first experience of walking around a big event independently with friends and his own pocket money to spend.  He was walking around with a different friend every time I saw him.  For me, it was one of those moments when it registered how much he is maturing and growing up.  

The weekend after that, I participated in the Seven Bridges Walk.  It is a charity fundraiser for the Cancer Council for New South Wales.  I was on a team of 5 people.  We walked 27 km (16.7 miles).  My friend, Gloria, and I had been training for the walk for weeks.  Even with the training, it was a really long walk.   We couldn't complain about the views though.  We started at Milsons Point and walked over the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  The course then circled the harbour until we returned back to our starting point.  We started at 8:30 in the morning and ended about 6 hours later. 

Our group right after we had walked over the Harbour Bridge

All done with my completed passport!

The training paid off as I had no muscle soreness afterwards.  It did take a few days to regain my energy though.....

And, of course, the last event of October is Halloween!!  I am so glad that we live in a part of the country that celebrates Halloween.  We did not go out trick or treating until 5:30 pm, which is actually kind of late for Australia.  Most kids head out much earlier in the afternoon.  We went to an area that is very popular for trick or treating.  It was a very festive atmosphere with lots of houses decorated and heaps of kids in costumes.  Unfortunately, since we were late, most of the houses were already out of candy.  That didn't upset the parents very much; however, the kids, particularly the older ones, were a little disappointed.  

The pumpkin mermaid and the old man astronaut (he has his mask on in the photo below)

Most of our trick or treating group.  They were a little hyped up on candy at this point.  (Carter is standing right next to Aubrey.)

Trick or treating was all done by 7:00 as the daylight was starting to fade outside.  Even though the loot was not bountiful, the kids had fun with their friends.  That is really the best part of Halloween.  Well, that and pumpkin lattes.  I may have to drink two of them every day next October to make up for this year;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment